Friday, August 21, 2009

Six reasons why Showcase Presents: Wonder Woman Vol. 3 is going to be the best thing DC publishes in November of 2009

When going over DC Comics' November solicitations earlier in the week, I somehow completely overlooked this particular item...

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WONDER WOMAN VOL. 3 TP
Written by Robert Kanigher
Art and cover by Ross Andru and Mike Esposito
Wonder Woman’s Silver Age adventures continue in this value-priced collection of issues #138-156. Don’t miss the amazing Amazon’s battles with The Angle Man, The Phantom Sea-Beast, The Brain Pirate and so many more.


Now I realize this may seem like a bold statement given I won't be able to read a single one of their books for months yet, but I'm pretty sure Showcase Presents: Wonder Woman Vol. 3 going to be the single best comic book DC publishes in November.

How can I be so sure? Well, do you know which Silver Age Wonder Woman comics are found between issues #138 and #156?

These ones:







You have no idea how long I've waited to read the issue where Wonder Woman rides a surfboard at a giant fish man while holding her mother on her shoulders and juggling two versions of herself from her past and/or the one where she escalator jousts with a dinosaur in a department store during "The Olympics of Doom."

Why the only thing that could possibly be better than Showcase Presents: Wonder Woman Vol. 3 would be Showcase Presents: Wonder Woman Vol. 4, as that one will include two issues with Egg Fu on their covers.

2 comments:

Phillip said...

Which issue has the scene where Bob Kanigher gives WW's supporting cast their walking papers? I love that one; so meta.

Sean said...

Oh my gosh! I remember buying WW #144 off the spinner rack at my local drugstore when I was nine years old. I read it over and over again. There was something incredibly fascinating about the bird boy and mer boy fighting over Wonder Girl that I could not get out of my head. Hadn't thought about that one for probably 40 years, but the picture of the cover brought it all back. I'll be picking this volume up in November!