Thursday, October 20, 2011

Meanwhile...

I have a short review of Frank Miller's new graphic novel, Holy Shit, Frank Miller Has Lost His Goddam Mind, in this week's Las Vegas Weekly, and I have a long-ish essay on the value of the continued existence of alternative floppies/pamphlets/comic book-comic books inspired by Adrian Tomine's Optic Nerve #12, if you would like to go read them. I would like to discuss the further at some greater length here in the near future, as there's an awful lot that can be said about it, and almost all of it bad.

2 comments:

Aki Alaraatikka said...

About your "Robot 6" piece:

There`s many quality comics in newspapers (in Finland, mostly, it seems). For example, "Children at Play" by Richard Thompson. But maybe you haven`t read it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Thompson_(cartoonist)

As for "Optic nerve 12", it isn`t published in Finland. So I probably wont read it...

Anthony Strand said...

Akilles - Agreed. "Cul de Sac" is wonderful. But that's just about the only one that amuses me at all anymore. When I read a collection for the first time, I almost couldn't believe it was such a new strip. It feels like it's from the mid-80s, in the best way possible.