Wednesday, May 08, 2013

I did not go to the comic shop today.

The only comics on my pull-list, and thus the only comics that are out today that I would therefore definitely buy were I in my local comic shop, are Star Wars #5 and SpongeBob Comics #20. It didn't really seem worth driving to and from the shop just to drop six bucks on a pair of comic books, so I didn't go, and thus don't have an edition of "Comic shop comics" to post here tonight.

I did order Batman Incorporated Vol. 1: Demon Star (which is actually the second volume collecting Batman Inc) and Walt Disney's Donald Duck Vol. 3: The Old Castle's Secret, both of which should be in shops this week, online, because I am a jerk. (And I will order Showcase Presents: Superman Family Adventures Vol. 4, also out today, just as soon as I finish SP:SFA Vol. 3).

If you are in a comic shop today and looking for something to buy, and wanted advice on the matter, I would totally recommend any of the following books, all of which I've read and have either already written about or am currently in the process of writing about: Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong (which is like a cool high school comedy movie as drawn by Faith Erin Hicks, whose art looks better than ever here, and it looked pretty damn good the last time I saw it), Peyo's The Smurfs Vol. 15: The Smurflings and Benny Breakiron Vol. 1: The Red Taxis, Jess Fink's We Can Fix It, Tom Gauld's You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack and the trade paperback version of Dave Taylor and Chip Kidd's Batman: Death By Design.

There are actually a ton of really great comics being released this week—brand-new works from current creators, great reprints of old comics, far-better-than-average Batman comics—it just seems that they're all being released as graphic novels rather than as serially-published comic book-comics.

2 comments:

Aki Alaraatikka said...

This week on my local comic and book shop, I bought 4 Finnish hardcover comics, which were on sale. They are Puskaradio (1 book) and Nanna (3 books).

http://www.jpahonen.com/puskaradio/)

http://www.tuulihypen.com/Nanna.html

googum said...

I actually did have to make a trip just for Spongebob Comics! My youngest was sick, but he really wanted that book! I think there was an ad the prior issue that said "May" and he was holding them to that...

I got Demon Knights #20 for myself, and it's not bad! Even though he's an amoral barbarian sociopath, Vandal Savage is kinda more likeable than most of the new 52 heroes...