Tuesday, June 18, 2013

'Twas the Night Before Wednesday...

So I thought I'd try doing this again here, because it makes for an easier Tuesday night post than writing an actual review or something. But maybe I'll stop after a few weeks. I don't know. Anyway, here are some comic books that will likely be on the shelves of your local comic shop tomorrow...

ADVENTURE TIME TP VOL 03
My plan was to read this comic in trade. So far I have read one trade.  Not only am I now officially two volumes behind, but I believe there are even trade collections of some of the spin-off series available now too.

BARNABY HC VOL 01
Part of me hopes a review copy of this shows up on my doorstop tomorrow afternoon, and part of me hopes it doesn't—I have a full day planned, and I'd hate to have to drop everything and spend the rest of the day and night reading this collection, which I'm not sure I'd be able to avoid doing if I found it thrust into my hands.

BATGIRL ROBIN YEAR ONE TP
This is a new collection featuring two different origin miniseries from the writing team of Scott Beatty and Chuck Dixon and pencil artists Marcos Martin (Batgirl) and Javier Pulido (Robin). Both are incredibly incredible, although the Batgirl one a bit moreso. I'd highly recommend this, and if you need more than my recommendation, here's a review that ran on ComicsAlliance by John Parker today

BOYS OF STEEL THE CREATORS OF SUPERMAN YR SC
I'm assuming this is a new printing or edition of the Marc Tyler Nobleman and Ross MacDonald picture book that I reviewed here a while back, timed to capitalize on the interest generated by some big Hollywood movie or another. If they keep screwing up making Superman movies, maybe they'd be better off doing a biopic of his creators...? Theirs is a pretty incredible story.

DONT PIGEONHOLE ME 2 DECADES MO WILLEMS SKETCHBOOK HC
The $40 price tag is a little too rich for my freelance writing blood, but you can bet damn sure I've already reserved this at my local library. Willems is one of my favorite artists and one of the few complete strangers I know who can make me laugh on a fairly regular basis.

FAILURE GN
I'm only about 30 pages into this Alternative Comics collection of Karl Stevens' strips for The Boston Phoenix, but the artwork in it is astounding. And that's not a word I use very often. Wait, I'm not sure if I've ever used "astounding" before, to describe comics art or otherwise...

IT GIRL & THE ATOMICS #11
I read the first six issues of this series, but Jamie S. Rich's scripting just never really connected with me, despite the great pleasure I took in the artwork and in getting to see some of Mike Allred's characters again (Allred's one of my favorite character designers). That said, I'm still kind of sorry to hear that the book is getting canceled. If nothing else, I'll miss seeing those gorgeous, Allred-drawn pin-up style covers show up on the racks each month.

PRIMATES FEARLESS SCIENCE OF GOODALL FOSSEY & GALDIKAS HC
Jim Ottaviani! Maris Wicks! Monkeys! If I were only allowed to read one comic book this week, this would probably be the one I'd choose based on all of the available information. Luckily, there's no such stupid rule, so I can feel free to read as many of these as I want.

SAGA TP VOL 02
I really enjoy reading this comic book series as a comic book, but I bet it reads really well in trade too, and I imagine there are a whole lot of people who will be reading it in that format thanks to cool librarians ordering copies for their graphic novel collections.

SPONGEBOB COMICS ANNUAL GIANT SWIMTACULAR #1
Attention Comics Internet! (Especially the corners that talk about wanting to see more women drawin more superheroes and/or talking about wanting to see more Jerry Ordway art). This $5, 48-page, superhero-themed SpongeBob special contains artwork by Jerry Ordway (who is credited with "flashback fun," which I believe refers to the comic within the comic and a few images that appear in thought bubbles) and Ramona Fradon, doing a nice, long Aquaman riff. That is in addition to providing the usual pleasure of SpongeBob comics, of course. But don't take my word for it, take my word for it.

No comments: